When the FBI is on its deathbed, the world is in for a treat

By David DeCourcey, USA TODAY The FBI is set to give up its pursuit of the Boston Marathon bombers after three of the five suspects are dead.

FBI Director James Comey announced Tuesday that all five suspects were killed.

In a letter to Congress, Comey said the suspects were all killed after their attempts to get to the Boston marathon finish line were thwarted by marathon police and FBI negotiators.

All five were captured by FBI negotiators about an hour after the race started and have been detained for questioning in Boston.

They were identified as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the older brother of the suspect, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, and his 19-year-old son, Tashfeen Malik.

The FBI has said the younger brother, Taseer, died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound after he tried to fire on the negotiators.

It’s unclear why Tashfee and Malik were released, but Malik’s family said he was taken to a hospital in critical condition.

They said he has been hospitalized in a coma.

Tashfaq Malik, a family spokesman, said Tuesday that his son was taken into custody at a hospital and taken to the hospital to be treated.

Tamerl Tsarnaev, also 19, has been arrested and charged with murder, attempted murder and obstruction of a federal investigation.

A fourth suspect, Dzhohkar Tsarnaev, 19, is in custody at the Boston Police Department and is accused of killing his father and wounding two others.

Police said the fifth suspect, Abdul Razak Ali Artan, 19 was taken in a police car to the FBI’s field office in Washington, D.C., to be questioned.

He has not been charged.

The Boston Police Commissioner, William Evans, announced Tuesday evening that the investigation into the attacks is still ongoing and that all the suspects are now dead.

The Associated Press and other news organizations did not immediately report the identities of the suspects who were killed in the shootout.

FBI officials did not say how many people were killed, and whether any suspects were injured.

They did not give an exact figure for the number of shots fired.

The bureau said it would not release the names of any victims until it had been thoroughly reviewed.

Comey said Tuesday afternoon that he would make a decision on whether to prosecute any of the people involved in the bombing before the next congressional recess.

He also said the FBI would review its protocols and procedures after the attacks.

The attacks were one of the deadliest terrorist attacks on American soil since 9/11.

The bombing was the first time in decades that an FBI agent had died in the line of duty.

On Sunday, the FBI was investigating the bombing and said it had learned of no links to foreign militant groups.